Last week we said investors should ignore the weekly jobless-claims report. It’s true that they were shocking, but they were already discounted in the market because the economy was effectively shut down.
This week we’re sticking to the same recommendation, even after the number of Americans who applied for unemployment benefits jumped by a record 6.6 million.
Instead investors should consider focusing on an early warning indicator. Let’s explore with the help of two charts.
Please click here for an annotated chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF DIA which tracks the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA.
Please click here for an annotated chart of a high-yield bond ETF HYG. High-yield bonds are also called junk bonds. Another popular junk bond ETF trades under the symbol JNK.
Note the following:
• The first chart of the stock market is a monthly chart, giving investors a long-term perspective.
• The second chart of junk bonds is a daily chart, giving investors a short-term perspective.
• The first chart shows the “mother of all support zones” for the stock market.
• The mother of all support zones shown on the first chart should be the main focus. To learn more, please read “The stock market is getting dangerously close to the ‘mother of support zones.’ ”
• The second chart shows the drop in the prices of junk bonds as the coronavirus dislocation spread across the markets.
• The second chart shows countertrend rally in high-yield bonds.
• The second chart shows support and resistance levels for the high-yield bonds.
Early warning indicator
The second chart is your early warning indicator for four reasons.
1. In a recession, junk bonds tend to perform more like stocks.
2. In my more than 30 years in the markets, I have consistently experienced that credit analysts tend to be more accurate than stock market analysts.
3. There is a high probability that junk bonds will break the support shown on the second chart before the stock market breaks the mother of support zones if the coronavirus situation worsens. I have previously written that the mother of support zones has an 80% probability of holding….Read more at MarketWatch.
A knowledgeable investor would have turned $100,000 into over $1,000,000 with the help from The Arora Report. NOW YOU TOO CAN ALSO SPECTACULARLY SUCCEED AT MEETING YOUR GOALS WITH THE HELP OF THE ARORA REPORT. You are receiving less than 2% of the content from our paid services. …TO RECEIVE REMAINING 98% INCLUDING MANY ATTRACTIVE INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES, TAKE A FREE TRIAL TO PAID SERVICES.