By Nigam Arora & Dr. Natasha Arora
To gain an edge, this is what you need to know today.
Please click here for a chart of Target (TGT).
Note the following:
- The Morning Capsule is about the big picture and not individual stocks. The chart of Target (TGT) is being used because it has an impact on the overall market.
- It is very rare for a large company to warn twice in almost three weeks.
- The chart shows the prior earnings warning from TGT and a new earnings warning.
- TGT is stuck with inventory that nobody wants.
- TGT is planning a fire sale to get rid of the inventory that nobody wants.
- TGT expects its second quarter operating margin will be around 2%.
- TGT is being optimistic for the second half – it expects an operating margin of about 6%, higher than the pre-pandemic level.
- TGT expects to maintain or gain market share.
- You may recall that we have previously pointed out several times that the wrong kind of inventory would become a problem. Now, that is exactly what is happening. The inventory problem is not only limited to TGT but is industry wide.
- The warning from TGT is impacting the overall market in the early trade.
A Dire Warning From China
A top economist who works for a research group overseen by China’s economic planning agency is suggesting that China should seize Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM) if the US imposes sanctions on China similar to those imposed on Russia. Here are the key points:
- The person issuing the warning is Chen Wenling. He is the chief economist at China’s Center for International Economic Exchanges. He is an influential person.
- China is very different from the US. In all likelihood, the warning is approved by the Chinese government, and this is a low key way for the Chinese government to warn the US government.
- TSM is the largest contract semiconductor manufacturer in the world.
- TSM has more than 50% market share of the foundry market.
- To understand the importance of TSM, consider that the chips in your iPhone are made by TSM. If China were to seize TSM, China could stop the supply of chips to Apple (AAPL) and AAPL would not be able to produce iPhones.
- Since AAPL is a large part of many portfolios, it is important for investors to understand the risks to AAPL. Such risks are drastically underestimated. More importantly, Wall Street firms stay silent on the issue because Wall Street firms do a lot of business in China and with AAPL. Please review the risk reward matrix in the Model Portfolio in ZYX Buy. Also, consider listening to the in depth podcast on AAPL titled “Stagflation: Buffett’s Portfolio Part 3.”
- The China Taiwan risk is not discounted in the current stock market price.
Momo Crowd And Smart Money In Stocks
The momo crowd is 🔒 (To see the locked content, please take a 30 day free trial) stocks in the early trade. Smart money is 🔒 stocks in the early trade.
The momo crowd is 🔒 gold in the early trade. Smart money is 🔒 in the early trade.
For longer-term, please see gold and silver ratings.
The momo crowd is 🔒 oil in the early trade. Smart money is 🔒 in the early trade.
For longer-term, please see oil ratings.
Bitcoin failed to break above $32,000. The disappointment has caused heavy selling, and now bitcoin is below the psychological level of $30,000.
Our very, very short-term early stock market indicator is 🔒. This indicator, with a great track record, is popular among long term investors to stay in tune with the market and among short term traders to independently undertake quick trades.
Interest rates are ticking down, and bonds are ticking up.
The dollar is stronger.
Trading futures is not recommended for most investors. The purpose of providing this information is to give an indication of the premarket activity that usually guides the activity when the market opens.
Gold futures are at $1846, silver futures are at $21.94, and oil futures are $117.91.
S&P 500 futures resistance levels are 4200, 4318 and 4400: support levels are 4000, 3950 and 3860.
DJIA futures are down 282 points.
Protection Bands And What To Do Now?
It is important for investors to look ahead and not in the rearview mirror.
Consider continuing to hold existing positions. Based on individual risk preference, consider holding 🔒 in cash or treasury bills or allocated to short-term tactical trades; and short to medium-term hedges of 🔒, and short term hedges of 🔒. This is a good way to protect yourself and participate in the upside at the same time.
You can determine your protection bands by adding cash to hedges. The high band of the protection is appropriate for those who are older or conservative. The low band of the protection is appropriate for those who are younger or aggressive. If you do not hedge, the total cash level should be more than stated above but significantly less than cash plus hedges.
It is worth reminding that you cannot take advantage of new upcoming opportunities if you are not holding enough cash. When adjusting hedge levels, consider adjusting partial stop quantities for stock positions (non ETF); consider using wider stops on remaining quantities and also allowing more room for high beta stocks. High beta stocks are the ones that move more than the market.
To take a free 30-day trial to paid services to gain access to more opportunities, please click here.
This post was just published on ZYX Buy Change Alert.
Markets can generate substantial wealth for knowledgeable investors. NOW YOU TOO CAN ALSO SPECTACULARLY SUCCEED AT MEETING YOUR GOALS WITH THE HELP OF THE ARORA REPORT. You are receiving less than 2% of the content from our paid services. …TO RECEIVE REMAINING 98% INCLUDING MANY ATTRACTIVE INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES, TAKE A FREE
TRIAL TO PAID SERVICES.