President Trump’s ban on supplying technology to Huawei, the Chinese telecom giant, is spreading beyond U.S. shores.
Companies in Europe and Japan are beginning to halt some shipments to Huawei. The reason is that the underlying technology is American technology. I will explain later in this column about the next shoe to drop in this trade war. Above all, investors ought to look at protecting their portfolios. Let’s explore with the help of a chart.
Please click here for an annotated chart of Nasdaq 100 ETF QQQ. Similar conclusions can be drawn from the charts of the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA and S&P 500 ETF SPY. Please note the following:
• As the chart shows, the support zone is nearby.
• For the bull market to sustain itself, there should be, at best, only a minor breach of the support zone shown on the chart.
• The way machines trade these days, unlike in the past, support zones are often broken, stops of those less knowledgeable are taken out and then the market bounces. This is a typical pattern. However, it does not mean that the pattern is repeated every time.
• The chart shows the Arora buy signal given on Christmas Eve, which turned out to be the low of the cycle.
• The chart shows the Arora signal to short-sell QQQ or buy inverse ETF PSQ.
• The chart shows a failure point for the rally.
• RSI (relative strength index) shows a weak bounce from the oversold condition.
• The chart shows the Arora call to raise cash and hedges on May 6 near the top.
Stocks to watch for clues
Among popular large-cap stocks, there is significant risk to Apple AAPL because of its China exposure. Google GOOG, GOOGL, Amazon AMZN and Facebook FB do not have material exposure to China.
Among semiconductor stocks, Qorvo QRVO, Skyworks Solutions SWKS and Micron Technology MU have significant exposure to Huawei. Qualcomm QCOM also has significant exposure, but the driving force of the stock will be the appeal of the antitrust decision against Qualcomm and potential support from those in the Trump administration who are concerned with national-security implications. Investors should also keep an eye on shares of Intel INTC, AMD AMD and Applied Materials AMAT.
The next shoe to drop
Chinese companies have been cornering the market for surveillance equipment. Trump is considering a new ban on five Chinese companies. Among the targets, stocks of Hikvision and Dahua plunged on the news. These are not your father’s surveillance-equipment companies. They are using new technologies of facial recognition, gait recognition, speech monitoring and artificial intelligence. These companies are setting up networks to track people by their facial features anywhere in the country….Read more at MarketWatch.
A knowledgeable investor would have turned $100,000 into over $1,000,000 with the help from The Arora Report. NOW YOU TOO CAN ALSO SPECTACULARLY SUCCEED AT MEETING YOUR GOALS WITH THE HELP OF THE ARORA REPORT. You are receiving less than 2% of the content from our paid services. …TO RECEIVE REMAINING 98% INCLUDING MANY ATTRACTIVE INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES, TAKE A FREE TRIAL TO PAID SERVICES.
Please click here to take advantage of a FREE 30 day trial.
Check out our enviable performance in both bull and bear markets.